Believe it or not one third of the population has insomnia.
Sleep apnea is a condition characterized by episodes of stopped breathing during sleep. Heavy snoring can be a symptom of sleep apnea. Chronic use of sleeping pills can lead to sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome, narcolepsy (falling asleep suddenly during the day), REM sleep (rapid eye movement), phase of dreaming.
Fitness Tips & Healthy Harry says:
How to sleep better!
- Limit alcohol intake (reduces REM sleep)
- Drink less caffeine especially in the evening
- Quit smoking
- Eliminate noise
- Create a sleep friendly bedroom which has darker shades, comfortable pillows and linens, a supportive mattress
- Sleep in a cooler room
- Dealing with any stresses troubling you can also have a positive effect
- Retreat from problems at bedtime
- Find quiet relaxation time, music, meditate
- Set a standard time to go to bed and get up in the morning
- Don’t bring work to the bedroom
- Keep any day naps to 30 min max
- Make sure you exercise – this will help with the sleep process.
Plus did you know that people who get less sleep are more prone to obesity? – they have decreased leptin and elevated ghrelin in their body (which makes them eat more).