Impact of Obesity in Women Over 40
As we age, it is a fact that we gradually gain, on average, 0.5kg/year. This can be of particular concern for women over the age of Forty. The effects of obesity are many and varied and can lead to increased risk of premature death, decreased quality of life as well as chronic disease.
Some medical conditions that can be a direct cause of obesity are diabetes, cardiovascular disease, musculoskeletal disorders as well as also affecting a women’s menstrual cycle and menopause. The risk of depression is also very high, and this can be attributed to a poor self-image.
It is very important to maintain a healthy weight and lifestyle in all stages of life, but especially as we reach midlife. For some, this is an easy feat, however for others, especially those who have already found themselves in the overweight or obese area, it can be extremely daunting to start and maintain a weight loss program.
Leanne & Fitness Tips Say:
Take it slowly. One day at a time. Make sure you have a strong support network around you through family and friends. Set goals and tell people those goals.
Tips for Losing Weight:
- Drink water, especially before meals
- Eggs are a good breakfast. High in protein and low in fat, these will fill you up.
- Drink coffee (Preferably black)
- Drink green tea
- Try intermittent fasting. This can be a good weight to lose kilos fast and if done regularly can keep the weight off.
- Cut back on sugar. This is an important tip! Read the labels. A lot of food contains more sugar than you think!
- Eat less refined carbs
The journey from obesity to a healthy weight is tough, but with a positive attitude and self-motivation it can be done! Believe in yourself!
Read here for more tips on how to find motivation and keep it.