- Keep to your normal workout schedule as much as possible. I know this is a no brainer but not giving exercise any priority at this time of year means not only will you ingest more calories and food from the parties you attend but you lose the opportunity to burn off some calories with exercise.
- Take advantage of every opportunity to walk instead of using the car. If you are out Christmas shopping or attending a function take the opportunity to park as far away as you can. Take the stairs instead of the escalator where possible. The incidental exercise you have achieved will benefit you greatly.
- Walk for 30 minutes after meals. This is great to do all year round not only at holiday time.
- Dust off the Wii Fit if you have one. Wii fit games are fun and you can often play for hours without realizing how much time you can spend on these games. I’m sure you know someone with a Wii console!
- Stick to your normal nutrition plan as much as possible. Keep up regular healthy snacks and don’t go to a party or function really hungry. Eat something nutritious before you go.
- Don’t Forget Alcohol has calories too. Alcohol has 7 calories per gram to be exact. Try drinking a full glass of water between alcoholic drinks. Remember alcohol is empty calories so limit them.
- Don’t spend all of your time socialising by eating! If on holidays keep busy by doing activities that burn up the calories, walk around shopping centres, walk your pets every day (they will love it!), play with your kids, go for a bushwalk or down to the beach, visit your local gym and join in on a group fitness class.
- Drink lots of water and no sugary drinks! Keep off the sugary drinks as the more sugar you consume whether it is food or drink the more your body will crave it.
- Sample desserts only! If sweets are on the menu ask yourself if you really feel like eating it and if you do try only small sample sizes rather than taking large helpings. Your waistline will thank you.
- Calorie Clues!
One shortbread = 150 calories
Chocolate 3 square pieces = 269 calories.
Assorted Nuts – one handful = 600 calories
- Exercise whilst watching TV! During the commercials do push ups, squats, lunges, sit ups, triceps dips or jumping jacks.
- When at a party, choose veggies with little dip or none at all! One tablespoon of dip is about 100 calories. Don’t go overboard with the dips.
- Remember everything in moderation! It is great to be able to enjoy ourselves but we have to look after ourselves at the same time. Feel good about yourselves and learn to say no to bad food choices.
- Lastly, watch your portions when eating Christmas dinner and don’t let your eyes be bigger than your belly. Remember, it is easier to put weight on than it is to take it off.
So have a great holiday, relax and have fun.