What is the definition of Mindfulness?
“Present-moment, non-judgmental awareness of ones physical and psychological experience”.
Mindfulness is a mental state where the focus and intention is to be in the present moment and gain a peaceful understanding of an experience or event. When you are in a mindful state, you become aware of your body’s emotions, feelings and thoughts.
Leanne & Fitness Tips Say:
- Practicing mindfulness can help to:
- Gain insight into personal motivations for change
- Develop an awareness of the physical reaction to stress
- Decrease the level of severity of day to day stressors
- Enhance the focus on positive thinking and positive daily events
- Deepens your sense of compassion
- Manage stress more productively
- Discover real and genuine happiness
- Develop a connection between the mind and body
- Develop self confidence
- Reduce chronic pain, stress and anxiety
We all respond differently when using mindfulness. What works for one person may not work for another. It is important to experiment with different forms of mindfulness to see what tools and techniques work for, and are most beneficial to you. Some techniques that you could try are;
- Mindful meditation, before bed or before a stressful event
- Breathing exercises. These can be done in the shower, before work or before bed
- Yoga. At the end of a busy day
- Guided imagery exercises. Before an event
- Daily gratitude journaling. As a daily practice or as a reflection at the end of your day
There are many resources and websites to take you through mindfulness techniques. Why not try some for yourself today!!