Menopause can really change things for a woman when it comes to health and fitness. It is important to understand how this affects women in their mid-life years and how they can look, feel and stay healthy! For some women, menopause severely impacts their quality of life. It really doesn’t matter if you have been healthy and lived an active life for all of your life. Menopause has it’s own rules and can wreak havoc on hormones and metabolism. For many women, the transition into menopause, brings with it many challenges, not only on the inside but also on the outside in the form of fat forming in places that it hasn’t previously, hot flushes (which generally occur at night causing insomnia), a higher risk of cardiovascular disease as well as insulin sensitivity and insulin resistance.
So, what things can be done to assist women in this change in their mid-life?
Fitness Tips & Healthy Harry says:
- Use a fan by the bed at night to help with hot flushes
- Avoid caffeine before bed
- Keep the room dark
- Go to bed earlier and get up earlier
- Pre-bedtime breathing techniques for relaxation
- Cut out all refined foods and high protein (up to 30% of daily intake)
- Drink plenty of water, at least two litres a day
- Incorporate moderate exercise. This has proven to reduce blood pressure
- If you are having trouble sleeping slow down on any high intensity workouts
- Black Cohosh – Studies show that this can be effective in helping with hot flushes
- Kava – for anxiety reduction
- Red clover leaf and Ginseng have also be shown to help with the many symptoms of menopause
As well as the physical effects of menopause, it is also important to remember how this transition affects mood and mind set. Make sure to talk to people and lift the stigma of this mid-life change that all women have to go through. 😊